Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I answered Tammy's challenge with a Tuxedo Cake! Yum!

It's a good thing I gave most of this cake away!
Tamara Alexander challenged me to a bake off!  First she posted a recipe for her creamy praline pie (oh, my!), and I answered with the Tuxedo Cake because I had company coming for dinner.  (And I also sent cake home with my guest, and gave half the cake to the family across the street.  This is a BIG cake, folks, and it's Texas-sized.  You can use either three nine inch pans or two 10-inch pans.  I opted for the ten inch because I don't have three nine-inchers.  :-/  

I found the recipe in THE PASTRY QUEEN cookbook (Rebecca Rather), and it was wonderful.  The cake was moist (probably because it contains butter AND oil), and the whipped cream frosting was a cinch to prepare with a stand mixer.  And the chocolate glaze--perfect!  Really easy directions; and the only time-consuming part was letting the cake sit in the fridge for an hour here, an hour there to firm up the frosting.
Mixing the flour, sugar, and cocoa. (The good stuff). 

So here are a few pictures, and I highly recommend the book THE PASTRY QUEEN.  It's amazing (like most things from Texas!)

Happy Baking!   And so . . . do you think I won the bake-off?  LOL.  Tammy, the gauntlet has been thrown down.  What are you bakin'?  :-)

Hugs!



Heating the oil, water, and butter. 

Cooling the two 10-inch cakes. They're BIG! 

After frosting with whipped cream and powdered sugar. 

After drizzling with chocolate glaze.  Drippy deliciousness.  :-) 
Angie

7 comments:

darien said...

Dear Angie,
my birthday is in February. Just saying :-)

Carolyne Aarsen said...

Not a good thing to be looking at at 9:30 in the evening when I'm ready for my usual cup of tea. Sigh.

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh. My. I'm not usually big on cake, but when I saw that last picture with the chocolate dripping down the sides, I almost swooned! LOL

And I loved your "amazing, like most things from Texas" comment. Even though you said things, not people, I'm going to pretend Angie Hunt thinks I'm amazing. :-)

Tamera Alexander said...

Oh. My. Goodness! I'm just back in from a 3-mile walk, and it's a good thing because I just gained 3 lbs lookin' at that LUSCIOUS cake! Oh, Angie. GORGEOUS!!! Truly a work of art. I want to grab a chilled glass of skim milk and dive in! LOL! Wish I could taste it...because I'm just not sure it's QUITE as good as the Creamy Praline Pecan Pie (ROFLOL).

And as for the continuing challenge, m'dear...I'll post what I'm baking this weekend tomorrow on facebook. So consider the gauntlet picked up and about to be thrown down yet again! (SO glad I love to walk! Sheesh....)

Angela said...

Thanks, everybody. And I think I have gained three pounds with the eating of it--for lunch, for dinner, for midnight snack . . .

So glad I gave most of it away! The little bit that's left keeps tempting me!

Can't wait to see what you bake, Tammy. I'll be traveling this weekend, but will be eager to get back in the kitchen!

Tamera Alexander said...

I just came back for another quick peek. Gorgeous cake and oh! I'd love to have some! Sweet dreams, Angie, especially with all that chocolate runnin' through your veins... :)

Heather Boerum said...

This looks amazing! I "invented" an Oreo-like cake in my head the other day (a mix of three recipes I've used recently) and actually, it's very similar to this. I making it next weekend for a girls day. I'll have to let you know how it turns out.